- About Us
- Event Calendar
- Introduction to Buddhism Courses
- Intermediate Level Courses
- Group Retreats
- Drop-In Sessions
- Short Courses
- Pre-Ordination Course
- Personal Retreat
- Discovering Buddhism
- Being Here
- Latest News
- Archived News
- Latest Reports
- Archived Reports
We’re looking for a new Director
This is a most precious opportunity to serve Lama Zopa Rinpoche, the FPMT and all sentient beings in the second oldest FPMT Centre, situated in the hills above McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala, India.
Tushita was established in 1972 by Lama Yeshe and is a highly blessed and beneficial place. It’s a key centre for those new to Dharma as well as more experienced practitioners. We host around 15 Introduction to Buddhism courses per year as well as often having Intermediate courses and group retreats running at the same time. In the last five years, we have hosted students more than 6,500 residential students from 83 different countries, with thousands more attending our regular drop-in events.
In 2012, Lama Zopa Rinpoche said how important Tushita is in spreading “inner peace” across the world, with students receiving teachings here that change their minds, developing more inner peace which they then spread in and amongst their communities when they get back home.
Tushita also has a diverse community of Tibetan and Western Sangha, Indian and Tibetan staff, as well as a team of Western volunteers.
We are seeking a new Director who would be able to join us as soon as possible and who would be able to commit to a minimum of 2 years service as Centre Director.
This is a full-time (40 hour/week) residential position that reports to the Centre’s Board of Directors. We are looking for a confident, hands-on Director, a real team player who can motivate, support and lead staff and volunteers in consolidating the growth of the Centre to date and developing a strong strategy for future growth and sustainability. The Director sets the tone for mindfulness and harmony in Centre operations. The initial appointment is for two years and is renewable.
The ideal candidate would be an Indian citizen, but we also invite applications from suitable foreign candidates who have extensive experience of having lived or travelled in India before.
Core position responsibilities:
- To oversee all areas of the Centre’s activities to include personnel, management, finance, spiritual programs, facilities, development, providing vision and maintaining harmony
- To develop and implement the strategic goals and priorities of the Centre
- To conduct fundraising activities, and bring ongoing fundraising projects to completion.
- Taking an active role in the overall development process of expanding the Centre’s buildings, property, infrastructure (water, sanitation, and power), and operations
- Managing or assisting in managing of all building projects and managing seasonal work crews
- Maintaining all relevant documentation and records of all maintenance projects
- To work cohesively with the Spiritual Programme Coordinator to support a robust program in accordance with FPMT standard education programs
- To participate in planning meetings to further the future development of the Centre
- To represent the Centre in the wider community
Required key skills and experience:
- Sincere respect and devotion for Tushita’s Spiritual Director, Kyabje Lama Zopa Rinpoche, and a familiarity with and commitment to the work and values of the FPMT
- Enthusiasm for Dharma practice and previous service in an FPMT centre and/or project
- A good working knowledge of Tibetan Buddhism
- Enthusiastic and dedicated team player
- Proven inclusive leadership and compassionate management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and harmoniously with people from different cultures / backgrounds
- Experience of living in a small community
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Patience, compassion and a sense of humor
- Ability to work flexible hours, especially during events
- Computer literacy
- Proven financial management skills with budgets and forecasts
Desired key skills and experience:
- Successful fundraising experience
- Office and logistics management experience
- Marketing experience: electronic and via other means
- Database management experience
- Good writing skills
- Building experience
A monthly stipend, along with other benefits including: generous holiday time, international travel expenses (per contract), visa expenses and health insurance. Accommodation provided by Tushita.
Please send your CV/resume together with a covering letter explaining:
- Your interest in this position
- Your suitability for this position re the above “core position responsibilities” and “required key skills and experience”
- Your experience in the Dharma and with the FPMT
- Your time living or travelling in India
to the Tushita team at
Lama Zopa Rinpoche will be requested to check the karmic benefit of all shortlisted applicants.
MAY ALL BEINGS BE HAPPY!
- Guided Meditation on March 27, 2017 9:30 am
- Movie Day on March 27, 2017 2:00 pm
- Introduction to Buddhism on April 6, 2017
- Guru Puja on April 6, 2017 6:30 pm
- Eight Verses of Thought Transformation / Chenrezig Retreat on April 7, 2017
- Medicine Buddha Puja on April 11, 2017
- Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo – Wheel of Life on April 18, 2017
- Introduction to Buddhism on April 22, 2017
- Insight Into Emptiness on April 23, 2017
- Introduction to Buddhism on May 9, 2017
Tushita is a centre for the study and practice of Buddhism from the Tibetan Mahayana tradition. We're located in Northern India, in the forested hills above the town of McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala - the seat in exile of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.
Tushita aims to provide a friendly and conducive environment for people of all nationalities and backgrounds to learn about and put into practice the teachings of the Buddha. With this in mind we offer regular drop-in events and courses on introductory Buddhist philosophy and meditation, as well as intermediate level courses and group retreats for more experienced students.
February to November
Monday - Saturday
9:30 - 11:30am
a break for lunch and then...
12:30 - 4:00pm