- About Us
- Event Calendar
- Introduction to Buddhism Courses
- Intermediate Level Courses
- Group Retreats
- Drop-In Sessions
- Kalachakra 2014
- Short Courses
- Pre-Ordination Course
- Personal Retreat
- Discovering Buddhism
- Being Here
We only had “Great Compassion” until we adopted “Wisdom” in October 2012, and accepted “Happiness” into our lives in February 2013… And so now we have all three, more familiarly known by their Tibetan names: “Nying-je Chenmo”, “Yeshe” and “Dekyi” – Tushita’s canine sangha!
Nying-je has been our resident darling since she arrived as a battered and malnourished stray in 2005. Once a scrappy pup, she is now the elder stateswoman, and had been quite lethargic since the passing of her best friend Jangsem Kalu in October 2011. Having dogs in a silent retreat centre is always a tricky balance, so although we hoped to find her a new friend and fellow monkey-guard, we waited for the right dog to turn up and make itself indispensable.
Enter Yeshe, spotted by teacher Ondy Willson and Spiritual Program Co-ordinator Ven Kunphen during breaks in the autumn 2012 courses. Ondy reports: “Yeshe started life in a tar barrel with 5 other pup siblings and her Mum. Some people came and took the other pups because they were ‘pretty’. So we watched Yeshe from the Himalaya Chai Shop, getting mangy and skinny and neglected, like so many dogs in India. Ven Kunphen gave her a home”. Removing the tar cankers from her hair was the first job, and she was bathed many times (pictured below) – it really was almost a close shave!
Months on, Yeshe is now healthy, beautiful and full of energy – we’re so happy to see that her presence has revitalised Nying-je too.
They were joined by another friend early in 2013 – an abandoned shepharding dog of undetermined age and patient demeanour who arrived and made it known she planned to stay. She was named Dekyi (sometimes also referred to by her nick-name, a Star Wars character she has a strong physical and vocal similarity to…). She completes our doggy trinity.
In the photo above, Nying-je is the grey dog in the top right corne
- Guided Meditation Every day except Sunday. Next session will be on September 18, 2014 9:30 am
- Guru Puja on September 18, 2014 6:30 pm
- Movie Day Every Monday & Friday, next on September 19, 2014 2:00 pm
- HH the Dalai Lama teaches locally! on September 24, 2014
- Introduction to Buddhism 10 day course begins on September 27, 2014 1:00 pm
- Chenrezig Tonglen Retreat Deity Practice retreat begins on September 28, 2014 1:00 pm
- HH the Dalai Lama teaches locally! on October 6, 2014
- M.B. Puja on October 8, 2014 4:00 pm
- Introduction to Buddhism 10 day course begins on October 15, 2014 1:00 pm
- Medicine Buddha Retreat begins on on October 16, 2014 1:00 pm
Tushita is a centre for the study and practice of Buddhism from the Tibetan Mahayana tradition. We're located in Northern India, in the forested hills above the town of McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala - the seat in exile of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.
Tushita aims to provide a friendly and conducive environment for people of all nationalities and backgrounds to learn about and put into practice the teachings of the Buddha. With this in mind we offer regular drop-in events and courses on introductory Buddhist philosophy and meditation, as well as intermediate level courses and group retreats for more experienced students.
February to November
Monday - Saturday
9:30 - 11:30am
a break for lunch and then...
12:30 - 4:00pm