- About Us
- Event Calendar
- Introduction to Buddhism Courses
- Intermediate Level Courses
- Group Retreats
- Drop-In Sessions
- Short Courses
- Pre-Ordination Course
- Personal Retreat
- Discovering Buddhism
- Being Here
- Latest News
- Archived News
- Latest Reports
- Archived Reports
Accommodation in McLeod Ganj
Where to lay down in Little Lhasa
Accommodation in McLeod Ganj
Since it is not possible to stay at Tushita unless you’re taking one of our Residential courses (this includes before and after the course) we are often asked for nearby guest house recommendations, but it is our policy not to recommend any specific guesthouses, hotels or restaurants (there are far too many to choose from and we are a small team of busy volunteers, not travel agents!). Please consult your travel Guide Book for more information.
We can however give you some tips:
- Firstly, please be assured that there are a huge number of clean and safe budget guesthouses, mid-range and luxury hotels in McLeod Ganj and the surrounding villages of Dharamkot, Bhagsu and Naddi. The same is true of restaurants.
- You should have little difficulty in finding somewhere in town that matches your budget and required comfort level, even without having made an advance reservation. Almost everyone staying in the area arranges accommodation on arrival, and only the most expensive (fancy!) hotels accept advance reservation.
- If you would like to be close to Tushita we recommend that you stay in Dharamkot, a small village 5 minutes from Tushita. If you would like to stay in McLeod Ganj it’s a steep 20min walk uphill (or 70 rupee rickshaw ride) to reach Tushita, directions here.
- If you are a bit flexible about time and money, just come and have a look around! March – June is the peak season here and we do recommend that you try to arrange accommodation in advance during this time. In other seasons you should have a range of options on arrival. If you would like to try to book ahead, below are links to 2 websites that give good advice and contact information.
Guest Houses in the nearby village of Dharamkot
McLeod Ganj is becoming very crowded, and many of our students are finding it more comfortable to stay Dharamkot, about a 5 minute walk from here. Most places to stay in Dharamkot are in the 300 – 600 rupee a night range, and local contacts who can help you to find a place in this range (possibly higher in high season) are:
Paul on firstname.lastname@example.org
Anil on email@example.com
They can both be reached by phone on 01892 221260 or 94181-87231
Malkeet on firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0973-630-4754
- Guided Meditation on March 27, 2017 9:30 am
- Movie Day on March 27, 2017 2:00 pm
- Introduction to Buddhism on April 6, 2017
- Guru Puja on April 6, 2017 6:30 pm
- Eight Verses of Thought Transformation / Chenrezig Retreat on April 7, 2017
- Medicine Buddha Puja on April 11, 2017
- Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo – Wheel of Life on April 18, 2017
- Introduction to Buddhism on April 22, 2017
- Insight Into Emptiness on April 23, 2017
- Introduction to Buddhism on May 9, 2017
Tushita is a centre for the study and practice of Buddhism from the Tibetan Mahayana tradition. We're located in Northern India, in the forested hills above the town of McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala - the seat in exile of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.
Tushita aims to provide a friendly and conducive environment for people of all nationalities and backgrounds to learn about and put into practice the teachings of the Buddha. With this in mind we offer regular drop-in events and courses on introductory Buddhist philosophy and meditation, as well as intermediate level courses and group retreats for more experienced students.
February to November
Monday - Saturday
9:30 - 11:30am
a break for lunch and then...
12:30 - 4:00pm