- About Us
- Event Calendar
- Introduction to Buddhism Courses
- Intermediate Level Courses
- Group Retreats
- Drop-In Sessions
- Short Courses
- Pre-Ordination Course
- Personal Retreat
- Discovering Buddhism
- Being Here
- Latest News
- Archived News
- Latest Reports
- Archived Reports
For those with a connection to deity practice and a firm grounding in Tibetan Buddhist philosophy
Introduction to Tushita’s Buddhist Retreats
Tushita offers four or five group retreats for Buddhist practitioners every year.
These retreats are intended for dedicated practioners with a commitment to the Buddhist path who desire to deepen their experience with an extended period of practice focusing on a particular diety.
Here is some general information that applies to each retreat. You can read more about each specific retreat on the links in our main menu, above.
- For a listing of all our courses, please consult our Calendar of Events.
- Click here for a list of all our upcoming Group Retreat descriptions and dates.
About the Tantric Retreats held at Tushita
Apart from our 3-month Vajrasattva retreat, most of these are practices belonging to Kriya Tantra, the first of the four classes of tantra. During the retreat, we generally do four sessions each day, starting with taking the Eight Mahayana Precepts in the morning, followed by Combined Jorcho/Lama Chopa in the first session, and three sessions of the particular sadhana.
The sadhana (or method of accomplishment) consists of taking refuge, generating bodhicitta, and making requests to the appropriate lineage lamas to receive inspiration. Although accumulating mantras is not the main focus of most retreats, for those who are able, we will try to accumulate 10,000 mantras (100,000 mantras for the 3-month Vajrasattva retreat).
According to the advice of Lama Zopa Rinpoche, we will also do prostrations to the Thirty Five Buddhas before each session. To make the practice more experiential and meaningful, lam rim meditations will be incorporated, as a motivation for the practice and to leave strong imprints of both sutra and tantra in our mindstreams.
- Guided Meditation on March 30, 2017 9:30 am
- Movie Day on March 31, 2017 2:00 pm
- Introduction to Buddhism on April 6, 2017
- Guru Puja on April 6, 2017 6:30 pm
- Eight Verses of Thought Transformation / Chenrezig Retreat on April 7, 2017
- Medicine Buddha Puja on April 11, 2017
- Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo – Wheel of Life on April 18, 2017
- Introduction to Buddhism on April 22, 2017
- Insight Into Emptiness on April 23, 2017
- Introduction to Buddhism on May 9, 2017
Tushita is a centre for the study and practice of Buddhism from the Tibetan Mahayana tradition. We're located in Northern India, in the forested hills above the town of McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala - the seat in exile of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.
Tushita aims to provide a friendly and conducive environment for people of all nationalities and backgrounds to learn about and put into practice the teachings of the Buddha. With this in mind we offer regular drop-in events and courses on introductory Buddhist philosophy and meditation, as well as intermediate level courses and group retreats for more experienced students.
February to November
Monday - Saturday
9:30 - 11:30am
a break for lunch and then...
12:30 - 4:00pm